1. Obtain a crucible and lid, and inspect the crucible for cracks, nicks, and other defects. Note: Replace a defective crucible.
2. Measure and record the mass of the crucible and lid in Table 1.
3. You will be heating the crucible before the experiment is performed.
*Preparation of crucible in "Preparations" section
6. After the crucible has cooled, measure and record the mass of the "fired" crucible together with its lid in Table 1.
7. Repeat the steps above for heating, cooling, and measuring the mass of the crucible and lid until you have two readings for the mass that are within 10 mg of each other.
8. Copy the last measurement in Table 1 into Table 3.
Materials and Equipment:
-crucible with lid
-balance (1 per class)
-wash bottle with deionized water
-magnesium powder, 0.5 g