DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.
- Sep-Pack, (single)
- Sep-Pack, (triple)
- Syringe, 1-mL
- Syringe, 10-mL
- Graduated Cylinder, 10-ml
- 18% Isopropanol, 100 mL
- 800g weight
- Unsweetened Kool-aid® drink, 10 mL
- Deionized Water
- Stand, with vise
- Gathered Equipment, assembled stand with vise, prepared unsweetened Kool-aid® drink according to directions from TA.
- Used 10-mL syringe to flush Sep-Pack with 10 mL 18% Isopropanol. Used vise and stand to stabilize syringe and Sep-Pack, 800g weight to ensure steady rate of flow, and graduated cylinder to collect the eluate and monitor the rate of flow.
- Disposed of eluate in graduated cylinder. Cleaned cylinder.
- Flushed Sep-Pack with 10 mL of deionized water.
- Injected 1 mL sample of unsweetened Kool-aid® drink into Sep-Pack, using 1-mL syringe.
- Collected and discarded effluent that washed out while injecting the sample.
- Filled 10 mL syringe with 18% Isopropanol, attached to sep pack, and mounted on stand using vise. Placed cleaned graduated cylinder beneath, to collect eluent.
- Using weight to ensure even flow, pumped solvent through Sep-Pack, collecting eluent in the graduated cylinder below.
- Measured the shifts in dye color, as seen in table 2, recording how much eluent flowed through for each to begin, then end.
- Repeated test with triple Sep-Pack.
- Disposed of eluent according to directions from TA, cleaned all containers and syringes, and returned all equipment to its point of origin.