DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.
- Data Collection System
- Spectrophotometer (Red Tide)
- Sensor Extension Cable
- Beaker (3), 50-mL
- Syringe (3), 1-mL
- Plastic Covers
- 0.1 M Sodium Hydroxide, 20 mL
- 1.2e-5 M Crystal Violet, 20 mL
- Water, Deionzed, 30 mL
- Marking Pen
- Gathered all equipment and materials. Inspected all equipment for damage or contamination.
- Set up Data Collection System.
- Calibrated the Spectrophotometer.
- Put 20 mL of Crystal Violet solution in beaker. Repeated with the distilled water, and the Sodium Hydroxide. Covered Sodium Hydroxide with the plastic covering.
- Labeled each syringe after each solution. Filled according to Table 1, taking care to remove any air bubbles.
- Table 1: Initial concentrations and Volumes
- Inserted specified quantity of water and NaOH into clean cuvette, before beginning the data recording process, injecting the Crystal Violet solution, and inverting it rapidly.
- Immediately wiped the cuvette with a Kimwipe, then inserted it into the Red Tide Spectrophotometer.
- Recorded data until absorbance had decreased below 0.1.
- Saved data, then repeated process two more times, following the concentrations and volumes from Table 1 for trials 2 and 3 respectively.
- Disposed of solutions in designated containers. Cleaned all glassware and cuvettes, set them to dry in their designated areas, and returned all equipment to its point of origin.