DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.
Equipment and Materials:
- Crucible with lid
- Clay Triangle
- Bunsen Burner
- Ring Stand
- Mesh Pad, with Asbestos
- Copper Sulfide
- Deionized Water
- Obtained crucible and lid (henceforth, the two are considered to be together unless mentioned otherwise), inspected them, and measured their mass: 36.1574g
- Obtained equipment, set up ring stand, Bunsen Burner, clay triangle, and mesh pad. Ignited Bunsen Burner, and heated crucible for 12 minutes. Placed crucible on mesh pad using tongs (from this point, the crucible was handled solely with tongs until the experiment concluded), and allowed to cool to room temperature. Measured mass of crucible again: 36.1571g
- Measured mass of (hydrous) copper sulfate: 2.1614g
- Measured mass of crucible with (hydrous) copper sulfate: 38.3189g
- Heated crucible with hydrated copper sulfate for 3 minutes, before increasing heat, and heating it for 5 more minutes. At that time, the copper sulfate had turned a yellowish-white. Removed crucible from burner, placed on mesh pad, and allowed to return to room temperature. Measured mass of crucible with anhydrous copper sulfate: 37.3005g
- Added deionized water to the anhydrous copper sulfate, at which point it became hydrated again, and returned to its original blue coloration. Disposed of salt within the proper receptacle, cleaned crucible, and returned all equipment to its point of origin.