DRAFT: This module has unpublished changes.
Equipment and Materials:
- Crucible with lid
- Clay Triangle
- Bunsen Burner
- Ring Stand
- Glass Rod (for stirring)
- Mesh Pad, with Asbestos
- Bottle of Deionized Water
- Retrieved equipment, and assembled it properly at workstation. Inspected crucible and lid for defects. Measured mass of crucible with lid: 38.5987g
- Heated crucible (henceforth, assume that the lid is included, unless otherwise mentioned) with Bunsen Burner, heating it for 15 minutes, before removing crucible with the tongs, placing it upon the mesh pad, and allowing it to return to room temperature. All subsequent handling of the crucible was performed with the tongs. Measured mass of fired crucible: 38.5980g
- Measured mass of magnesium: 0.1867
- Measured mass of magnesium and crucible: 38.7860g
- Heated the crucible and magnesium on Bunsen Burner, until the crucible was red hot, then briefly removed the lid to introduce air to the magnesium. Heated crucible for 3 more minutes, before removing from heat, placing on mesh pad, and allowing it to cool to room temperature.
- Stirred the magnesium with the glass rod, before returning it to heat until red hot. After exposing the magnesium to air for the second time, removed it from the Bunsen Burner, placed it on the mesh pad, and allowed it to return to room temperature.
- Added 3 drops of deionized water to the crucible, before returning it to the Bunsen Burner. Heated the crucible for 15 minutes, opening the lid at points to allow the water vapor to escape. Removed crucible, placed it on the mesh pad, and allowed it to return to room temperature. Measured mass of crucible and Magnesium Oxide: 38.8873g
- Disposed of the MgO within the proper receptacle, then scrubbed the crucible, and reinspected it, before returning it to the drying station. Returned all equipment to its point of origin.