The purpose of this experiment was to identify the cations present in a mixture using qualitative analysis. By following each procedure, I was able to determine the cations present along with the proposed formulas for each mixture. I had to use qualitative analysis for each procedure and at the end I was able to identify the two unknown substances that were used for the experiment. The two unknown cations were Ag+ and Ni2+. The Cation Flowchart allowed me to see what was reacting in each procedure, so the only remaining part was to determine the cations that were present.

My data shows accuracy because it reflects all the reactions that took place, along with the cations that were identified. Some sources of error in this experiment may have been that the procedures were not followed properly. It is important to follow each procedure carefully so that precipitation will occur and so that all the ions present will react. Any unreacted ions may interfere with the subsequent steps, thus falsifying the data recorded. Another possible error may have been that the cations were not identified as specified. Overall, the experiment was a success although I would make the procedure more clear because they were a little difficult to follow, especially for someone who has never done the experiment.